The International Literacy Association (ILA) Regie Routman Teacher Recognition Grant is an annual $2,500 award that honors an outstanding mainstream K-8 classroom teacher dedicated to improving the teaching and learning of reading and writing. At least 60 percent of the school's students must qualify for free or reduced lunch.
“I created this award about twenty years ago because I wanted to recognize the work of superb teachers who might not ordinarily get wide recognition. I also wanted to make it possible for those teachers to dream big and to think creatively about how they could improve and enhance their students’ literacy lives.”
The application process requires:
- A completed application form
- A three-page (maximum) proposal about how the applicant would support, improve, enhance, and accelerate teaching and learning for students
- A one page personal statement that includes personal beliefs about teaching and learning and a professional vision for this project
- A letter of recommendation from an administrator
- A letter of recommendation from a peer
The winner is notified by March and the grant recipient is cordially invited to attend the ILA Annual Convention and be officially recognized at the conference. For complete application guidelines, see http://www.literacyworldwide.org/about-us/awards-grants/ila-regie-routman-teacher-recognition-grant. The submission deadline for the 2018 grant is January 15, 2018.